[Computer-go] Beta 2 of Standard Engines now available

Robert Finking robertfinkng555 at o2.co.uk
Fri Oct 29 13:00:58 PDT 2010

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Answers below

On 29/10/2010 07:43, Markus Enzenberger wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> I am wondering why you put a question mark in the stable column for
> AmiGo. At the time when I used to run AmiGo on CGOS, it had always
> been rock-solid and I never experienced a crash or other problem. But
> I used only Linux, so maybe there is a problem with the version
> compiled for Windows by Ben Lambrechts?
The ? was a placeholder I put down for anything that I hadn't tested. I
hadn't realised I'd not updated it to say "yes". Thanks for catching it,
I've now updated the computergo wiki page
(http://computergo.wikispaces.com/CGOS+Standard+Engine+Packs).
> Also, Fuego can be set up to ignore time settings and use CGOS rules,
> so it will capture dead stones (at least as long as the capturing is
> is necessary for a win under Tromp-Taylor counting). You need to
> create a config file with the necessary GTP paramter commands and
> invoke Fuego with the --config option to read this file at startup. If
> the messages to stderr are a problem, there is a command line option
> to disable them (I believe it is --quiet).
>
> I haven't followed the recent development of Fuego, so I do not know
> the current status of the parameter setting, but if you ask at the
> fuego-devel mailing list, you may get some help. There are also config
> files for playing Fuego on CGOS included in the Fuego repository:
>
> http://fuego.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/fuego/trunk/tools/cgos/
This is great news. The problem I had with Fuego was that there was no
documentation with the version I downloaded from http://gnugo.baduk.org/
. Using --help gave me:
   --config arg          execuate GTP commands from file before starting
main
                         command loop
   --help                Displays this help and exit
   --maxgames arg (=-1)  make clear_board fail after n invocations
   --nobook              don't automatically load opening book
   --nohandicap          don't support handicap commands
   --quiet               don't print debug messages
   --srand arg (=0)      set random seed (-1:none, 0:time(0))
   --size arg (=0)       initial (and fixed) board size

And calling list_commands to see what GTP commands I could use in the
config gave me:

Fuego 0.4.1.SVN
Copyright (C) 2009-10 by the authors of the Fuego project.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is
free software and you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain conditions. Type `fuego-license' for details.

SgRandom::SetSeed: 1288381922
list_commands
= all_legal
all_move_values
autobook_close
autobook_counts
autobook_cover
autobook_expand
autobook_import
autobook_load_disabled_lines
autobook_mainline
autobook_merge
autobook_open
autobook_param
autobook_priority
autobook_refresh
autobook_save
autobook_scores
autobook_state_info
autobook_truncate_by_depth
boardsize
book_add
book_clear
book_delete
book_info
book_load
book_moves
book_position
book_save
book_save_as
clear_board
cputime
cputime_reset
echo
echo_err
final_score
final_status_list
fixed_handicap
fuego-license
genmove
get_komi
get_random_seed
gg-undo
go_board
go_clock
go_param
go_param_rules
go_param_timecontrol
go_player_board
go_point_info
go_point_numbers
go_rules
go_safe
go_safe_dame_static
go_safe_gfx
go_sentinel_file
go_set_info
gogui-analyze_commands
gogui-interrupt
gogui-play_sequence
gogui-setup
gogui-setup_player
is_legal
kgs-genmove_cleanup
kgs-time_settings
known_command
komi
list_commands
list_stones
loadsgf
name
pid
place_free_handicap
play
protocol_version
quiet
quit
reg_genmove
reg_genmove_toplay
savesgf
set_free_handicap
set_random_seed
sg_compare_float
sg_compare_int
sg_debugger
sg_exec
sg_param
showboard
time_lastmove
time_left
time_settings
uct_bounds
uct_default_policy
uct_estimator_stat
uct_gfx
uct_max_memory
uct_moves
uct_param_globalsearch
uct_param_player
uct_param_policy
uct_param_rootfilter
uct_param_search
uct_patterns
uct_policy_moves
uct_prior_knowledge
uct_rave_values
uct_root_filter
uct_savegames
uct_savetree
uct_score
uct_sequence
uct_stat_player
uct_stat_player_clear
uct_stat_policy
uct_stat_policy_clear
uct_stat_search
uct_stat_territory
uct_value
uct_value_black
undo
version

...but I didn't know what most of those command do, specifically I
didn't know how to reconfigure it to ignore the time. However, I've
won't have time to look at this again for a while so if you or somebody
else wants to produce a configuration file that we can use that would be
very handy.

> Hope this helps

Certainly does - thanks =) I just wish I had a bit more time!