[Computer-go] UCT Engine Implementation Problems

James Pettit james.l.pettit at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 19:18:51 PDT 2010

I have a basic UCT bot with AMAF/RAVE implemented as part of my master's
research. The bot can muster a small win-rate versus Gnugo level 6 (~20% as
black), but usually loses games by not forming 2 eyes and being completely
captured. I have uniform random playouts, with simple ko and self-eye moves
disallowed. Is this normal for a basic UCT bot? From looking at territory
visualizations (the viz. post has been most interesting), the bot seems to
want to capture white groups that can usually be kept alive, and ignores
forming eyes to keep itself alive. I'm wondering if I messed up somewhere in
the tree portion searching possible opponent moves. Any thoughts?
- James Pettit