[Computer-go] Congratulations to Many Faces again!

Hideki Kato hideki_katoh at ybb.ne.jp
Sat Oct 16 06:19:51 PDT 2010

Thank you Nick for the tournament.

First of all, I'd like to apologize being late to the tournament due
to lack of enough preparation and thank Nick for suggesting and
helping me to borrow the account of SimpleBot and Aloriel for giving
me the account.

This was my first experiment of KGS slow bot tournament and I thought
12 hours time setting is not necessarily long and thought having more
rounds by reducing the time could be better.  Six minutes for a move
lead me fall asleep in fact :).  Looking at the human players'
tournament, the longest is (AFAIK) Japanese three major championships,
which gives each player 8 hours (with byo-yomi) and other Japanese
championships give 4 or 3 hours.  Internatonal championships use 3, 2
or 1 hour.  I'd like to prefer 3 hours for next slow tournament in
order to prepare the matches against human champions in future.
http://igo.web.infoseek.co.jp/cgi-bin/patio/patio.cgi?mode=view&no=60
(in Japanese)

I have no idea if this slow tournament is included to the annual
championship but at least please announce earlier (if I missed,
sorry).  I'd like to apologize to Yamato, who asked me to join this
tournament instead, for losing his chance to get some more annual
championship points, due to my laziness.

At the annual championship page
<http://www.weddslist.com/kgs/annual/index.html>,
I've found the link to the Excel sheet
<http://www.weddslist.com/kgs/annual/scoring.sls> has a typo (sls
should be xls). #Seems no one downloaded that file before :).

You have assigned 4, 2 and 1 multipliers to 19x19, 13x13 and 9x9
boards sizes but I think there are no reason to favor larger boards
and making all the same or independent awarding might be better.
Also, as someone suggested earlier, it's not necessary to depend on
the time-settings.

Can we change the software and/or hardware upon each tournament?
I guess we can because accepting no improvements for a year
has no sense but it would be better to state so on that page.

Hideki

--
Hideki Kato <mailto:hideki_katoh at ybb.ne.jp>