[Computer-go] God Go Rank

Mark Boon tesujisoftware at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 13:40:50 PDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Nick Wedd <nick at maproom.co.uk> wrote:

>> Under Chinese rules, the minimum error is more or less systematically 2
>> points.
>
> This is only true if you use a very pedantic measure of the size of an
> error, assuming perfect play for all subsequent moves.  More realistically,
> a move can give away say 0.37 of a point, because it makes it that much less
> likely that the player will play subsequent moves correctly.

Indeed. Smaller errors are possible, they just may not affect the
final outcome with further perfect play. Take for example a simple ko
situation. If you have three of them they're worth one point. It makes
the value of this ko 1/3rd of a point. (Despite the fact it's commonly
called 1/2-point ko.) If I make a mistake where compared with perfect
play I leave one stone in atari in a simple ko, I obviously made a
1/3rd point error, even if this didn't affect the final result. This
is just an example, I'm pretty sure much smaller fractions are
actually possible.

Mark