[Computer-go] cgos 19x19 gets interesting

Kahn Jonas jonas.kahn at math.u-psud.fr
Mon Oct 11 04:21:06 PDT 2010

> Do any other programs want to join the fun?

That's a nice tournament going on there!
By the way, is Enos Erica (it appeared after Erica19-4c left) or another
program?

> I expect the latest zen and latest mfgo to get bayeselo ratings over 2900.
> They are 2 dan or 3 dan on kgs, and it looks like it takes about 80% win
> rate to get one rank on kgs.  This means that at the dan levels, one rank is
> about 300 ELO.  Since the current programs are about 6 or 7 stones below a
> weak pro on 19x19, this means that pro rating on CGOS would be over 4500,
> and 9 dan pro would be around 5000 ELO.  So we have a very long way to go.

And that's the optimistic view: the usual wild guess is that the best
pros are about four stones away from perfect play. That might be
optimistic too, but if that's true, pro stones might already
be worth a lot more than 300 elo.

Jonas