[Computer-go] intel i5 760 vs amd Phenom II X6 1055T

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Mon Nov 29 04:45:42 PST 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 09:37:55PM +0800, Fuming Wang wrote:
> These two has simular prices. Any one know which cpu is better for Go MC
> simulation?

FYI, at our department we will be shortly purchasing some Phenom 1090T
and Opteron 6134 machines, and I will be comparing the MCTS performance
between these and i7 920 (unfortunately, I don't have any newer i7 CPUs
available). I hope to be able to post about it in four to six weeks when
everything arrives and is put together.

Not sure if you intended it while phrasing your question, but the
classic MCTS is actually very diverse task - the MC simulation part you
mentioned is heavy on integer arithmetic, branching and possibly bit
operations.

OTOH the tree search part is entirely different, very heavy on floating
point arithmetics (IIRC, most of the time in this part is spent taking
the square roots; overally, tree search is taking 1/4 to 1/3 of the
runtime, a significant amount; of course the balances may be different
in other programs with heavier/lighter playouts).

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis