[Computer-go] I need an off-the-shelf final position live/dead evaluator

terry mcintyre terrymcintyre at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 28 08:05:03 PST 2010

________________________________
From: Magnus Javerberg <javerberg at yahoo.com>

 One way around this would be to not do the scoring on the phone, but on a
server. This way you can use a DLL, and if the image processing is done in the
phone the data traffic should be very low. Maybe not an optimal solution, but
IMHO clearly acceptable and much better then spending several hundred hours to
implement it yourself.

/Magnus Jäverberg

That seems like a smart idea - the traffic would be a few hundred bytes for the
board description.

I'd add one thing: in cases where there is some question, why not ask the player
to mark dead groups?

Back to Dyer's research into scoring games "where humans typically finish them"
- did that include wins by resignation? In such a case, this phone app would
presumably not be invoked; the human players have already decided the result.

I have sometimes seen people on KGS resign after a large capture - but closer
analysis suggested that they still had a winning margin. This would baffle any
attempt to "score" the game, but it's human psychology; people sometimes make
mistakes.