[Computer-go] I need an off-the-shelf final position live/dead evaluator

Michael Williams michaelwilliams75 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 07:16:26 PST 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 4:15 AM, Dave Dyer <ddyer at real-me.net> wrote:
> At 10:39 PM 11/27/2010, David Fotland wrote:
>>Accurate scoring, even at the end of a game, is very difficult.  You have to
>>read accurately, and evaluate semeai and seki.
>
> Yup.  I spent years developing the capability to score endgames
> at the point where humans typically leave them.  Getting within
> a few points of correct 95% of the time is achievable.  The other
> 5% you will either make whopper mistakes or never terminate.
>
> This is now pretty old, but I don't know of any more recent or better
> results. http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/go/scoring-games.html

No one here or at that link mentions whether they are talking about
Chinese scoring or Japanese scoring.  It seems that the there would be
a significant difference.  For insnance, if I wanted to score a
Chinese endgame starting with no code, I would probably write an MCTS
move generator that played the game to the bitter end and then score
it using simple area counting.  But you can't do the same thing with
Japanese scoring.