[Computer-go] I need an off-the-shelf final position live/dead evaluator

Jim Babcock jim at jimrandomh.org
Sat Nov 27 08:54:11 PST 2010

> You should be able to rework Gnugo into a DLL life/death evaluator library.
> Then you can use its evaluator in your payware app without having to
> distribute your source code.  You would just have to distribute the source
> to the gnugo evaluation library.

No, that is not allowed by the GPL; that would make my app a derivative work
of Gnugo and force me to GPL it. The LGPL allows that sort of thing, but Gnugo
is not licensed under the LGPL.

> I license Many Faces's engine for applications that can generate reasonable
> royalty income, but this application probably doesn't qualify.

You haven't specified what order of magnitude would you consider
sufficient. That
said, skimming "Knowledge Representation in The Many Faces of Go" suggests
that it's probably too memory intensive for my purposes.

Still waiting for a usable answer...