[Computer-go] ManyFaces swindled of victory?

dave.devos at planet.nl dave.devos at planet.nl
Thu Nov 25 22:44:17 PST 2010

I can only speak from one example from 2009 of me (4d EGF) playing against a strong Monte Carlo program (Fuego) on 19x19, Fuego taking 3 stones handicap.

It was a game on a turn base site with one day per move thinking time. Fuego was playing multiple games on that site and on 19x19 it was allowed one hour thinking time per move per game if I remember well. I usually don't use more than one or two minutes per move in these conditions.
This is the game: http://www.online-go.com/games/board.php?boardID=176261

Up to move 107 things were going well for Fuego. I was quite impressed be it strength. Then Fuego started a ruthless attack and it was very succesful. By move 128 I was in big trouble. I despately tried to wriggle my way out of the situation, but by move 161 things had turned even worse for me. I felt I should resign, but I couldn't bring myself to it. Then Fuego played 162. A totally irrelevent move, almost a pass, allowing me to play 163 to save my group and regain hope. And from then on Fuego played more irrelevant, incromprensible weak moves until its totally won position had turned into a lost position.

I don't know if it has to do with semeais or multiple fights or simply a bug. This game did not seem to have an exceptionally large number of fights or semeais to me. I was surprised by the transition from consistently strong play to consistently weak play. From move 162 it felt as if a was playing a different, much weaker player.

I know Fuego is not Many Faces, but I read the same issue about fights and semeais applying to all MC programs. Yet I felt that semeais and fights were not the problem in this particular game. I don't know what was. It felt like a general collapse.

Dave