[Computer-go] comma bots

Don Dailey dailey.don at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 12:41:09 PST 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Jason House <jason.james.house at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Nov 18, 2010, at 2:59 PM, Don Dailey <dailey.don at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Christoph Birk <<birk at obs.carnegiescience.edu>
> birk at obs.carnegiescience.edu> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010, Don Dailey wrote:
>>
>>> There are now several comma bots on the server.   This should have a good
>>> impact on bringing the ELO ratings in line with the Bayeselo page.   I'm
>>> currently copying over their ratings every 2 hours.
>>>

>> I thought you only update the Bayeselo page every 6 hours.
>>

> I do,  but between updates the comma bots still drift.     You are probably
> arguing that I should only update after a bayelo calculation and that
> probably makes sense too.
>

> Are they drifting badly? If so could that be caused by all their opponents
> having ranks that are off by 100+ ELO?

I agree.   There are actually 2 reasons why I'm seeing a fair amount of
drift after just a few games.  The first is as you say,  most of the bots
are mis-rating right now but this situation will improve.   The other issue
is that I was watching a new player (lazy,0 and lazy,1)  and this new player
had a pretty high K value.

So a further adjustment would be to limit the range of the K factors or even
just use a single K factor if I am doing the provisional rating stuff.
And of course I would only copy over ratings every 6 hours,  after they are
calculated.

Don