[Computer-go] ManyFaces swindled of victory?

terry mcintyre terrymcintyre at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 12 18:24:10 PST 2010

This is a curious game - a 3 stone game betwixt ManyFaces and a 2 kyu player.

It looks to my eye as if MFGO was well ahead in the middle game, yet managed to
snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Black has many unsettled groups; usually a stronger player causes much grief in
situations like this, but black managed to turn around and swallow up not one
but several white groups.

Most interesting. I think this confirms an earlier thread - when there are
several semeai on the board, MCT-based strategies get into difficulties.

I think strong human players tend to have a better grasp of "this particular
fight is settled, no need to study it further until a liberty is removed (in
which case respond now!); let's focus on this other fight instead . . ."