[Computer-go] cgos bayeselo

Robert Finking robertfinkng555 at o2.co.uk
Fri Nov 12 15:41:06 PST 2010

Hi Don,

On 12/11/2010 20:08, Don Dailey wrote:
> I made the change to the scripts which computer bayeselo ratings.
> Every bot which ends with the  ",?"  suffix (where the question mark
> is a wildcard character)  will be rated as if it were a single player.
>   It will show up in bayeselo with ",*"  (comma asterisk) appended.
Great - sounds good. I'll try to get beta 3 out soon with comma
suffixes. I've got a bit of rework to do due to my misunderstanding of
the way suffixes should work, so will probably be a week or so before I
get the pack out.
> I also intend to synchronize bayeselo ratings with the main list by
> periodically copying the ratings from bayeselo to the standard list
> for these comma bots.   I will not copy ratings for other bots,  just
> the comma bots.
Great - this will really  bring in the benefit of the changes!
> This should have a fairly powerful standardizing effect on the rating
> pool.   Bayeselo is standardized by a single anchor but there should
> be no drift if the anchor has played enough games and so the comma
> bots should always have accurate ratings, at least to accuracy of the
> ELO rating system and the number of samples.

I have a question here. What is the rating on the main list, and how
does it relate to Bayeselo? E.g. if I look on
http://cgos.boardspace.net/9x9/bayes.html, I see that _Gnu3.8L1_2 has an
Elo of 1857 after playing 258 games. On
http://cgos.boardspace.net/9x9/standings.html (the only page I normally
look at for ratings) it has a rating of 1760 (after playing 258 games).
How do these two numbers relate, and also how will it work, copying the
Elo across to the main table, which at the moment doesn't look like it
contains Elo? Sorry to ask basic questions - I'm still new =)I see on
the Elo page that the Lazy,* bots have between them accrued 144 games.
and have a combined Elo of 2111. But on the main ratings page I see two
separate bots, Lazy,0 and Lazy,1.  Is the idea that when you do the
copy-over, the main ratings page will also only show Lazy,* ?

Apologies for the basic questions! Thanks for doing this.

Raffles