[Computer-go] CGOS Dropped Connections - Two automatic losses on time.

Don Dailey dailey.don at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 05:39:24 PST 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Christoph Birk <
birk at obs.carnegiescience.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Michael Williams wrote:
>
>> Does the opponent's identity currently get sent?  I can't remember.
>> If so, then you should do so after the match ends (or at least after
>> the engine makes it's first move) so that engines cannot intentionally
>> refuse to play a move because of the opponent's identity.
>>

> CGOS is a test-server for developers ... I hope this is not
> necessary.
>
> When I created CGOS one of the primary considerations was to discourage
rating manipulations - which you see on the chess servers.   I now remember
that there was a reason I did not do this before - because I did not want
bots to log off depending on their opponent or the first move, etc.

When doing stuff like this you should always assume that if it's possible to
do something,  someone will do it.    In computer chess a bunch of things
happened that I never dreamed people would do.

Nevertheless,   there is a limit to my paranoia and I think this is a
sensible rule.    Very little damage done even if someone goes to the amount
of effort needed to make this work to their advantage and I hate seeing
defaults on games not played.      If it ever gets so bad that people
complain about it I we can address that later.     It's not like there are
not other ways to cheat and we have to assume as Christoph says that
developers are using CGOS in everyones best interest.

Having seen the last few posts,  I am having second thoughts on the idea of
automatically kicking a bot if it loses on time - I think that is probably a
bad idea.      I can probably send some kind of ping message just before
scheduling the next round and if there is no response within a few seconds I
could close the connection.

I am hesitant to make any of these changes as I completely rewrote the
server in C (and I think it was over a year ago, maybe 2) and it's alpha
quality (no known bugs but probably has some) and almost ready to use and
much more resource friendly.     I am rather swamped with stuff to do right
now but I really would like to get this new server on line as opposed to
working on the old server.     But I can only do this when I have some time
to babysit it for a few days.

Don