[Computer-go] CGOS Dropped Connections - Two automatic losses on time.

robertfinkng555 at o2.co.uk robertfinkng555 at o2.co.uk
Thu Nov 11 05:16:14 PST 2010

From: birk at obs.carnegiescience.edu Date: Nov 11, 2010 0:39

>>> 4. Auto-boot login if 2nd attempt is made (with valid password)
>
>This breaks 'cron' scripts that automtically start
>programs every so often.
>It also raises the question "when" to boot it.
>If the programm is currently playing, then it will
>lose another game on time because it gets "booted".
>(6) should take care of any further losses once a
>program has crashed.

The problem isn't getting the client to reconnect, it does that
already. The problem is that the server currently rejects the
reconnection attempt because it doesn't realise the client is no longer
logged in. Regardless of whether it is the standard client trying to
reconnect, or your own cron job (and presumably your own implementation
of the CGOS protocol???) you currently face the same problem - the
server will bounce your attempt to log in. Eventually the current log
in times out at the server and you can log in again... but way too late
for you to reconnect and finish off the current game. Don's suggestion
would allow engines to reconnect after a temporary network glitch and
finish the game, avoiding bad results - especially important for
standard engines where several will be running simultaneously on the
same machine.

>>> 5. Auto-boot engines which lose on time
>
>Makes no sense to me. Many time management systems
>are adjusted at the high-end, ie. will lose occasionally
>on time, even if nothing is wrong.

Again, the client should auto-reconnect, so it should have no effect
on engines that really lost on time, the client would just auto-log
back in, but gives an engine with a connection problem the chance to
reconnect. This is a fall back for 4. above.