[Computer-go] CGOS Dropped Connections - Two automatic losses on time.

Don Dailey dailey.don at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 15:59:55 PST 2010

I think you are slightly misunderstanding the suffix idea.

When you create a bot,  you always choose the name and password.   If one is
already taken of course you have to choose a different one.  This does not
change.

The suffix idea is that if your bot ends with ",c",  where the c is any
legal character,  then any bot with the same prefix (the part before the
comma)  is treated as if it were the same player when it comes to rating the
games.    One the bayeselo page there will only be a single entry  that
represent ALL the players with the same "base" name.

The password however is one that you must create - only 1 user controls 1
name and there is no sharing of password.    If you have a bot called
"joebot,5"  then you own it and nobody else can run that name.    However
someone else can create "joebot,6" and it is understood that they are
"functional clones" of each other.

The primary issue is who gets to decide what the suffix is.   Without any
changes to the server other than allowing comma's,  I could just let this be
up to the users and if the name is taken you have to try a different name.
I would also change the server to only allow comma as the second to the last
character in the name.   That is the simplest thing to do.

Another possibility is to require these names to be registered - in which
case you cannot use a comma style name unless it has been approved by some
administrative process.     This is slightly more work for everybody,  but
has the advantage that this does not get out of control.   With no control
it is likely we will have a proliferation of comma-bots.     On the other
hand,  I'm not so sure this is a bad thing.   Imagine that you want to get
your bot rated in a big hurry and want to run 8 copies of it on an 8 core
machine.    You could easily do such a thing with this system.

I hate to mention this,  but this probably will lead to scheduling issues.
If there are a bunch of clones playing each other, it is meaningless
rating-wise.   So they probably should not be allowed to play each other.
It may cause some clones to have to sit out rounds if there are too many of
them.

Don