[Computer-go] CGOS Dropped Connections - Two automatic losses on time.

Robert Finking robertfinkng555 at o2.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 13:39:26 PST 2010

Hi

On 09/11/2010 12:26, Don Dailey wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 12:10 AM, Michael Williams
> <michaelwilliams75 at gmail.com <mailto:michaelwilliams75 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     > It's a nice approach - simple and effective - but needs
>     safeguards I think. If two people are using the standard engine pack,
>     > the second person who comes along will boot the first off the
>     server.
>
>     Wouldn't they be using different engine names and passwords?  If they
>     use the engine pack out of the box without customizing the name and
>     password then it's their fault if they get booted.
>

> Yes,  the idea is not to share an account but for the server to
> somehow recognize them as standard players.

I think I missed a step in my explanation. I am trying to get back to
the original suggestions on this topic  of using a single digit numeric
suffix. This uses the mechanism already built into the client - thanks
Don =) - which allows you to specify multiple alternative logins in the
same config file. Each engine picks a suffix at random. There are three
advantages to this:

    * it satisfies those who wanted a single digit suffix
    * it solves the problem with Mogo needing restarting
    * suffixes get selected automatically - this means the end users
      don't need to grab a suffix which is then solely used by then

Of course this relies on their being a standard shared password. If
however you would prefer to stick with the one-suffix-per-user, I agree
that the "2nd login causes boot" is a simple and effective solution,
especially when combined with the other ideas!

So, shall I move back to the beta2 suffix (set by the user in the
suffixes.txt file) so that we can go with the suggested approach?

Kind regards

Raffles