[Computer-go] CGOS Dropped Connections - Two automatic losses on time.

Robert Finking robertfinkng555 at o2.co.uk
Mon Nov 8 14:28:33 PST 2010

Hi Don,

On 08/11/2010 14:17, Don Dailey wrote:
> One possible solution is for the server to force the previous login to
> disconnect if it thinks that player is currently connected.   It will
> send a quit command to the client and then realize there is no
> connection and this is trapped.
It's a nice approach - simple and effective - but needs safeguards I
think. If two people are using the standard engine pack, the second
person who comes along will boot the first off the server. If the first
then tries to reconnect, they will boot the second etc.. How about a
1-minute safeguard? An incoming login only boots the current login if it
hasn't been heard from for over 1 minute? On 13x13 and 19x19 longer
timeouts may be needed.

> On time forfeit I could automatically close the connection which
> should also tell the server what the state of the connection is.    It
> will of course be up to the client to reconnect.
  Would the built in client auto-connect work in this circumstance? Good
idea in any case =)

> I should probably not forfeit games where one of the players has not
> made at least 1 move - although the previous 2 fixes should prevent
> that from happening.    But this might be useful for debugging new
> programs.
This sounds like a good idea to me too.

These are great ideas.  I think the first idea is the one that really
gets to the root of the problem (provided we can avoid the danger of
different instances stealing logins when there has been no loss of
connection).

A final thought - how about increasing K for games that are lost on time?

Hope this is useful feedback.

Regards

Raffles