[Computer-go] OT: prices for fast computer-go hardware

Darren Cook darren at dcook.org
Mon Nov 8 02:04:21 PST 2010

> Hello Darren,
>> Building your own is crucial here, ...
> * Have a backup machine (needs not to be exactly the same hardware as
> your "first choice") in London for cases of hardware problems.

Just to clarify, this discussion was hypothetical (for me). I don't have
even $500 to spend on new hardware for the Shodan Go Bet event, let
alone $5000. I wanted to get a rough idea of how many CPUs/cores/Ghz
fits in $5000 in case I am fortunate enough to find some generous
institution or person to lend hardware for the event.

(I think we put something in the event rules about freezing the clocks
if there is a serious issue that requires a reboot or replacement hardware.)

Darren

http://dcook.org/gobet/  (Shodan Go Bet - who will win?)