[Computer-go] OT: prices for fast computer-go hardware

Don Dailey dailey.don at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 17:59:54 PST 2010

Your points are all valid.   It definitely depends on your workload.

I use my i7-980x primarily for developing my chess program Komodo, and it
constantly is playing automated test games to evaluate program changes.   I
have a mutl-threaded testing harness that schedules everything nicely and it
really screams on this machine.   With my application more cores scale
extremely well.

However, alpha/beta or MCTS does not scale that well.    So if you had a
choice of doubling the cores, or doubling the speed of each core,  it's not
even a close call.     But it would probably be about the same for the
tester rig.

So for this, I would give a lot of weight to the individual speed of each
core.     Of course the only way to really know is to run the target GO
program on different machines to see which one gets the most playouts.
 But even that is not so simple as it may be that you should tune things
differently for different machines.

Don