[Computer-go] OT: prices for fast computer-go hardware

David Fotland fotland at smart-games.com
Sun Nov 7 09:59:13 PST 2010

Go is so huge there is not much that can be done with big precalculated data
(like endgame tablebases in chess).  UCT is inherently serial, since it's a
best-first search algorithm.  It uses information learned during previous
playouts to direct the line for the next playout.  This also makes it hard
to use big memory.

I could a modest amount of additional memory.  I would keep more data per
move, use double floating point rather than single, etc.  That's about a
factor of four.  Ideally I'd like something like 2 GB per core.

Many Faces has to be frugal with memory because its commercial.  It has to
run well on older or smaller machines, so I default to a maximum of 300 MB
on a PC, and a maximum of 25 MB on an iPad.  On the PC the user can increase
the memory, but only to 1.5 GB total because the PC version has to be 32
bits.

The tournament version runs on a 64 bit 12 core using 12 GB of memory.

David