[Computer-go] OT: prices for fast computer-go hardware

steve uurtamo uurtamo at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 09:45:54 PST 2010

it occurs to me that much of what is being written is optimizing for
cpu and not for ram. is this true? ram has often been the limiting
factor in scientific computing -- having 16x ram can mean a major
change in what you're able to accomplish. ram, consequently, is much
more dicey to optimize for, since getting a lot of it can be very
expensive.

let me pose a thought experiment that i went through with a friend of
mine one day when we discovered a machine with 1 TB of ram. what would
you do differently with 1 TB of ram? assume (because it is) that it's
all directly addressable, all very fast.

to put it more sharply, would you be willing to trade your ideal
current setup for a single-core, single-cpu modern intel machine
running at the low end of the ops/sec range if you had 1TB of ram to
play with? how would/could you rewrite your code to take advantage of
this?

s.