[Computer-go] learning patterns for mc go

Darren Cook darren at dcook.org
Wed May 19 16:50:31 PDT 2010

>> My problem is that I can't find many papers about learning of MC playout
>> policies, in particular patterns.
>
> A just published paper about learning MC policies:
> http://hal.inria.fr/inria-00456422/fr/
> It works quite well for Havannah (not tested on hex I think).

I struggled with this paper ("Multiple Overlapping Tiles for Contextual
Monte Carlo Tree Search"), as it wasn't clear to me what a "tile" was.
Specifically I couldn't work out if they were 2d patterns of
black/white/empty, or are they are a sequence of moves (e.g. joseki,
forcing moves, endgame sente/gote sequences, etc. in go)? Or perhaps
something else altogether?

While I wear the dunce's cap and stand in the corner, is some kind soul
able to explain the idea in go terms?

Thanks,
Darren

http://dcook.org/gobet/  (Shodan Go Bet - who will win?)