[Computer-go] effectiveness of transposition tables for go

Mark Boon tesujisoftware at gmail.com
Mon May 10 17:26:18 PDT 2010

>Don't you remember that Mogo had an issue with memory?

Yes, I remember. Like I said, I've seen people write about memory
issues. But I just never understood where they came from. I'd like to
understand, as I don't see how they could follow from keeping the
nodes.

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Don Dailey <dailey.don at gmail.com> wrote:
> But Lazarus could only think for about 2 or 3 minutes before running out of memory.

Maybe therein lays the answer. 2-3 minutes is extremely long for a 9x9
game. For the 5 min. limit on CGOS, thinking more than 10 seconds
happens rarely. Maybe it could happen for demonstration games with
pros you want to think for a few minutes on the occasional move. But
for those demonstrations you could easily arrange a little more memory
for the occasion. It's not the standard situation. Adding a few Gb for
a special occasion is a lot cheaper than writing code to account for
the possibility.

If it was 2 or 3 min. for 19x19 it's a little easier to understand.
It's still a lot longer than you can think on average. Plus, for 19x19
you cannot do playouts nearly as fast as on 9x9. The 5 times longer
game-length gets compounded by the need for heavier playouts.

Mark