[Computer-go] effectiveness of transposition tables for go

Mark Boon tesujisoftware at gmail.com
Mon May 10 13:47:41 PDT 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Don Dailey <dailey.don at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is no need for this unless it is a speed optimization.   You can find
> any child by generating the hash key of each child.   It seems ridiculous to
> me to store an average of at least 100 pointers per node.

It's possible of course I have misunderstood how hash-tables work or
are implemented. How, from a position in the hash-table, do you get to
the next position with the best win-rate? I doubt the hash-key is
generated on-the-fly as that would be very expensive since it would
entail the administration of making a full move, counting (some form
of) liberties and removing captives. So I always assumed they are
stored, probably as hash-keys, in the node. But then I see no
difference between a pointer or a hash-key. Just a different name for
the same thing.

Mark