[Computer-go] effectiveness of transposition tables for go

Martin Mueller mmueller at ualberta.ca
Sat May 8 21:46:11 PDT 2010

> I think there are three ways the tree is stored,
>

> As a tree, with pointers
>
> As a tree (with pointers), and with a separate transposition table - I think
> Fuego does this
>
> As a hash table only, with no pointers between nodes.  This is what Many
> Faces does.

Fuego only has a single fixed-size array that stores the tree. It does not use transpositions. Markus tried several variations early on in the development of Fuego, but did not find anything that worked better than a plain tree.

Intuition tells us that transpositions are a good thing, and they certainly work very well in alphabeta search. However, they do seem to interfere with the dynamics of the current MC search algorithms. So I don't think there is a clear recipe for doing transpositions well in MCTS yet. I hope this will change.

	Martin