[Computer-go] kgs-genmove_cleanup again

Erik van der Werf erikvanderwerf at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 09:06:41 PDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Petr Baudis <pasky at ucw.cz> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 01:54:53PM +0200, Erik van der Werf wrote:
>> What's the easiest way to fix this?
>>
>> Would it suffice to return no own dead stones at all (to make it
>> explicit that we now assume everything to be alive) for the
>> final_status_list dead command after a cleanup phase?
>>
>> In principle this should force the human player to remove the bot's
>> dead stones as well, right?
>
> The easiest way to fix this for me will be to just avoid passing if any
> stones are considered dead.

Well, you can't remove your own dead stones ;-)

>  This will make the game much more tedious
> for the human, but it's what wms wishes. :( I don't want to do ugly
> second-order hacks like second-guessing final_status_list based on last
> genmove command.

It is not guessing! The program should already know that the rules
have changed for the cleanup phase. When final_status_list is called
(for the second time) it can take this information into account
perfectly.

If it couldn't, then what would happen if the human marked your living
stones dead after the cleanup phase? We known that this happens
frequently in unrated games, but in rated games it is supposed to be
impossible. Given that on disagreement the server has no impartial
knowledge to distinguish the living from the dead it should therefore
force the human to do the actual removal of the bots dead stones as
well (or disagree until eternity).

Erik