[Computer-go] Quiescence Search for Go?

Stefan Kaitschick stefan.kaitschick at hamburg.de
Mon Mar 29 01:18:05 PDT 2010

> Stefan Kaitschick wrote:
>>Maybe a way to do quiescence in go is to trade moves in result-critical
>>local fights before doing the actual search.
>
> "Local fights" are not entirely local always. It might be better to do
> something at the ends of the tree before simulations.
>
> --
> Yamato

Yes, trading moves ahead of time would create new problems, even if a fight
really is local.
For example, a move for a semeai might be ladder breaker.
And ofcourse the ko threat balance would be upset.
It's a question of is it more poison or more cure. :-)
There might be some way to create a retraction mechanism for provisional
moves, but I agree it's thorny.
That's why I think that the less radical approach of reducing frequencies of
potential thrashing moves in the move generator might be more tractable.

"ends of the tree before simulations"?
I don't get that. Isn't the simulation allready underway when you arrive at
end nodes?

Stefan