[Computer-go] Big Iron for Orego

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Mon Mar 1 09:31:51 PST 2010

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 09:10:23AM -0800, Peter Drake wrote:
> FWIW, the proposed single machine has four 6-core AMD chips.

Ah, I see. I'm sorry, I don't know how these compare with i7
performance, but I suspect some other mailing list readers might. ;)
They probably don't do HT, but they might have other advantages.

One non-obvious advantage is that these AMD chips on full 24 cores have
better memory ordering behavior when doing lockless tree updates than
24-core Intel beasts - JLG has found that lockless tree updates on
24-core Intels lose an unbearable number of updates while AMD behaves
more reasonably. Not sure if this is relevant for you.

--
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
http://pasky.or.cz/ | "Ars longa, vita brevis." -- Hippocrates