[Computer-go] Big Iron for Orego

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Mon Mar 1 09:07:29 PST 2010

  Hi!

  I don't know if Java can adapt to i7 well, but here are few random
observations of mine based on Pachi:

  Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad  CPU   Q9300  @ 2.50GHz
  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         920  @ 2.67GHz

  i7 can play 30% more games per second with 4 threads. With
hyperthreading, games/thread goes down but when using all 8 threads, the
total games per second increase vs total 4-thread Core2 is 50% - so
per-thread performance goes down with hyperthreading (unsurprising) but
per-core performance goes somewhat up (at least for our MCTS
implementation; good, often not the case with past Intel processors
supporting HT).

  Thus, I'd recommend really going for i7/Nehalem if possible - it's awesome.
;-) It's probably worth buing more of 920 rather than fewer of the extreme
ones, but I don't have experience there.

  The Mac Mini cluser has 48 cores, but 5x4-core i7 with HT is 40 and it
will be *probably* more energy-efficient. If the 24-core machine is i7,
that means 48 threads, I'd go for that. If you were willing to buy multiple
separate machines, you could probably afford more cores for the buck; but
that way also has plenty disadvantages, obviously.

--
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
http://pasky.or.cz/ | "Ars longa, vita brevis." -- Hippocrates