[Computer-go] Annual "KGS bot championship"

Nick Wedd nick at maproom.co.uk
Fri Jul 2 03:19:44 PDT 2010

In message <1A5C1BE3-6A07-446F-9448-790FE160A8E6 at btinternet.com>,
Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd at btinternet.com> writes

>had you considered weighting for time?
>
>ie tournaments with longer time intervals might get higher weighting,
>cf some human dan ranking ladders which do not include fast play.

That is a good idea, though it will work in the opposite way from giving
more points for tournaments with more rounds.

>it has been brought to my attention that whilst humans like relatively
>long time periods, and require them to play well, there is currently a
>bias in computer tournaments towards fast play.

I don't know about a "bias towards fast play".  Bias relative to what?
To what humans prefer?

In organising bot tournaments, on KGS and elsewhere, I used to come
under pressure to use slower time limits.  This seemed odd, as the
programs didn't know what to do with the extra thinking time, you could
give them twice as much time and the moves they found were hardly any
better.  Their algorithms did not scale.

But in the last four years, since MC programs started to appear, things
have changed.  All good bots now use MC methods, which do scale.  The
more time, and the more processors, a program has, the better it plays.
But now, I come under pressure (from programmers) to use faster time
limits.

This seems odd to me.  Maybe the continuing advances in processor speed
are relevant.

Nick