[Computer-go] Many Faces and Japanese rules

Erik van der Werf erikvanderwerf at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 05:29:27 PDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 2:04 PM, steve uurtamo <uurtamo at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Ya, I feel the same way a bit. Maybe there will an independent event that
>> limits the hardware power.
>
> an extremely long time ago on this list, the idea was discussed.  i
> think that the semi-consensus (if i'm remembering correctly) was that
> you would need to be able to log in remotely to one of a set of
> identical machines to compile, optimize, etc. ahead of time.
>
> some people are uptight about where their binaries live and might not
> participate.

Well, IMO that's not really a problem, because you could test with a
dummy program (assuming you still have private access to the machine
once at the playing location).

I would already be much happier if the organizers found a sponsor that
provided state-of-the-art standard pc's, banned remote play, and allow
only what you can carry yourself to the playing location. Maybe some
highly motivated people would carry in an additional factor 2 in
processing power, but that's not something that can't be beaten.
However, with remote supercomputers running on hundreds or thousands
of processors it is tough...

Erik