[Computer-go] Many Faces and Japanese rules

Erik van der Werf erikvanderwerf at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 15:12:41 PDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Yamato <yamato_cg at yahoo.co.jp> wrote:
> Aja wrote:
>>Erica plays PASS (win rate=40%) with 200000 playouts. I wonder what is Zen's
> Great. The current version of Zen never plays pass in this situation.

I just checked to be sure; Steenvreter correctly passes in both
examples. I'm speculating, but I think your problem is that you only
adjust for the difference between Japanese and Chinese counting in the
playouts. However, once consecutive passing gets into the tree you
have to correct earlier.

The way I think of it Japanese rules have two phases: (1) the game
phase and (2) the confirmation phase. In the game phase passing first
can gain a point. In the confirmation phase it can not. The
confirmation phase normally starts after 2 consecutive passes. If the
confirmation phase has not started yet in the tree then the entire
playout can be considered a confirmation phase.