[Computer-go] excessive bounce cutoff, attempt to change address, attempt to get password confirmation, ...

Michael Alford malf at aracnet.com
Mon Apr 19 13:06:37 PDT 2010

On 4/19/10 8:33 AM, Richard Brown wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Stuart A. Yeates <syeates at gmail.com
> <mailto:syeates at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 8:38 AM, steve uurtamo <uurtamo at gmail.com
>     <mailto:uurtamo at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      > i have to pull about 1/5 of this list's emails
>      > out of gmail's spam filter [...].
>
>     A solution to this is to create a filter for the list ('filter
>     messages like this' on the drop down by the reply buttom) and tell
>     gmail never to put emails that match the filter in the spam folder.
>
>     [Yes, I'm aware that this is merely treating the symptoms]
>
>     cheers
>     stuart
>

> I'd like to second Stuart's approach, at least for gmail use; gmail
> users will find the following of interest.
>
> I have not had to drag any computer-go messages out of my spam box ever
> since I:
>
>     * Created a /label, /"[computer-go]", by going to Settings -->
>       Labels --> Create new label.
>     * Created a /filter, /by going to Settings --> Filters --> Create a
>       new filter.
>
> I disagree that doing so is merely treating the symptoms of a problem.
> What it is,
> is sorting incoming mail, and putting it into folders, /before /the spam
> box ever sees it,
> which the spam box never does.  The "label" really acts like a folder.
>
> This obviates the need for a spam-filter ever to be applied to these
> messages at all, and so it isn't applied.
>
> Now, I know that gmail will try to tell you "Search, don't sort!"  They
> look upon folders
> as somehow old-fashioned. <Ptui!>  Gol'-danged whippersnappers.  I likes
> to put me
> mail inna folder, by Jiminy.  So, I /sort, /which obviates the need for
> /searching!/
>
> Google-hooligans!
>
> I had a similar problem with the AGA go e-journal, took the same
> approach, and now
> those never end up in my spam box either.  They end up instead, neatly
> sorted into
> my AGA folder.
>
> Same goes for other stuff I knew I wanted.  Here is my list of labels
> and filters:
>
> *The following filters are applied to all incoming mail:
>
> *
> Matches: from:(journal at usgo.org <mailto:journal at usgo.org>)
> Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "AGA"
>

> Matches: subject:([computer-go])
> Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "[computer-go]"
>

> Matches: from:(Kidpoker at cardsharkmedia.com
> <mailto:Kidpoker at cardsharkmedia.com>)
> Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "Negreanu"
>

> Matches: from:(slashdot at slashdot.org <mailto:slashdot at slashdot.org>)
> Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "slashdot"
>

> Matches: label:buzz
> Do this: Skip Inbox
>
> Since there's already a "buzz" folder (inconveniently placed immediately
> below my inbox, yuck)
> [...]

Just fyi, my experience with this is that adding computer-go (and
wvgc-go) to my pass through list doesn't work, I also have to add
computer-go-bounces and wvgc-go-bounces to the list. Articles are
quarantined with the -bounces part even though when I forward them they
show up without it. I am not aware of having missed any articles for
either group since adding the two -bounces addresses. I use a Mac and
Thunderbird and have wondered if my experience is peculiar to my system
or my ISP.

Michael