[Computer-go] Komi and the value of the first move

timothy.maguire at tesco.net timothy.maguire at tesco.net
Thu Apr 8 03:07:49 PDT 2010

I just stumbled across an article on gobase.org stating that "opening plays are worth something in the range of 20 to 30 points." while looking up something else.

http://gobase.org/studying/articles/matthews/CGT/

It is possible this article is counting score differently as 10 to 15 (half the given figure) seems to be the generally accepted range for opening plays.
I am not sure what counting it could be referring to, as I understand it the other way of counting would involve looking at the difference of one sides score to 180 (or half the board) and so would result in values half, not double, the method of scoring where you look at the difference between the two player's scores.