[Computer-go] Komi and the value of the first move

Erik van der Werf erikvanderwerf at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 13:16:10 PDT 2010

2010/4/7 Andrés Domínguez <andresdju at gmail.com>:
> I think the big komi is an anomaly with very small boards, where white
> player can't even live.:

That's one thing, the other is that on even size boards the lack of a
center makes it hard to defeat mirror Go.

> 1x1 : Draw, because no legal move (or losing points allowing suicide)
> 2x2 : Draw, both with super ko rule or simple ko.
> 3x3 : B+8 (japanese rules, chinese B+9)
> 4x4 : Dificult, but I think is a draw with japanese rules
> 5x5 : B+24 (japanese, B+25 chinese)
> 6x6 : Probably white can live and black wins but less than 24 points
>
> Bigger than 6x6 looks like 8 or 9 is near correct komi for odd boards
> (7x7, 9x9, 13x13, 19x19 etc.), but I suspect it will increase very slowly for
> bigger boards (much bigger than 19x19).
>
> I believe that small boards are not representative, because odd numbers
> are much better for black than even numbers, and because when white
> can hardly live, the bigger the board the bigger the territory black can
> take.

If you like that sort of thing, here's a complete overview:
http://erikvanderwerf.tengen.nl/mxngo.html

If anything is not representative I would say its the draws :-)

> Five points of komi on 19x19 looks extremely low, more in the 7-10 range.

Sure, but my point was that the komi we are used to is a statistical
komi (which balances fallible players).
For perfect play on large boards it's all pure speculation.

BTW it was not so long ago that the usual komi was 5.5. Maybe it went
up because top pro level improved?

Erik