[Computer-go] Komi and the value of the first move

Don Dailey dailey.don at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 06:59:20 PDT 2010

Note that with small boards, the komi is really high, such as 25 for 5x5.
With larger board it seems to get smaller.    So it seems likely to me that
it should get smaller with increasing board size.    Of course this is not
any kind of proof - it's just a trend that we can observe at only the
smallest board sizes.   Even at 9x9 it isn't clear which komi is correct.

It has nothing to do with the strength of the players since this is about
what value is correct.     You cannot talk about which value is correct to
give an even game if you do not specifically identify which 2 players - and
that might even vary from day to day.

For practical reasons we can set it in such a way that we get the most equal
results - but then we would having nothing to argue about.    We could just
say,  "set komi to give the most equal results" which is what I think is
actually done.

Don