[Computer-go] Komi and the value of the first move

David Fotland fotland at smart-games.com
Mon Apr 5 09:14:32 PDT 2010

I think it is generally accepted that the first move is worth twice the
value of Komi, so about 15 points.  I don't know anyone who thinks it's
worth 20 to 30 points.  One could argue that the first few moves are miai,
and of equal value, so they could be worth more than twice komi.  Twice komi
would then be the value of the first non-miai move.

David