[Computer-go] Getting started with GTP - life/death

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Thu Apr 1 03:21:10 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 06:09:53PM +0800, Scott Christensen wrote:
> I connected my GTP engine to Gogui.  Gogui will eliminate captured
> stones but this info is not passed to my gtp engine.  Do I need to
> build my own life/death analysis in the engine?

Yes, your engine needs to implement appropriate rules for capturing, if
that's what you mean. If you mean life/death of uncaptured stones during
scoring phase, if your engine supports final_status_list, it can be
queried (not on CGOS, where all stones are assumed alive at the game
end), but you won't receive information about the ultimate user's choice
(after all, the game is over).

> Sorry this is a very
> basic question, any webpage that anyone can recommend that illustrates
> how to go beyond GTP to actually playing out a whole game on CGOS
> would really be a big help.

http://repo.or.cz/w/pachi.git/blob/HEAD:/complete-tromptaylor.gtp is
example of a complete game - I believe if you can handle this, you
should be able to handle CGOS fine (time controls etc. are optional).
You may also find the script of
http://repo.or.cz/w/pachi.git/blob/HEAD:/sgf2gtp.pl useful for
debugging, to convert (simple) SGF files to GTP streams.

(This does not include the genmove commands that ask your engine - you
can just cut off the file at some point and add e.g. 'genmove b' to ask
the engine about its move in a particular situation.

--
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
http://pasky.or.cz/ | "Ars longa, vita brevis." -- Hippocrates